Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Friends or Fiends? Being a "Twenty Something" and learning about life.

Hey guys, it's been a while!

I have been working so much and thinking so much that I haven't taken the time to write down my thoughts. But, I'm back and that's all that matters.

Lately I've been experiencing some new things, learning a lot and living well. I am truly a lucky lady with a lot to be thankful for.

If you are struggling financially or in any sort of way, remember to appreciate the little things and that it is so important to stop and realize how blessed we all are.

Sometimes, when I become overwhelmed and realize it, I stop and remember that I have family, friends, a boyfriend, a home, and a job. If what I am worried about will not matter in a day, then I let it go. It's easy to think too much, but that's a different subject. I'll write about that another day.

Right not I want to talk about friends.

This has been on my mind for a while, and I think about it a lot.

It's hard being a twenty something. I work a lot, sometimes more than I would like, but I have bills to pay and my own mouth to feed. Most of my friends are in their twenties or older, maybe a little younger. Whether I met you in high school or in my more recent years, you're still probably old enough to understand or at least be learning the basics of balancing life.

Something I have been learning lately is how to deal with different types of friends.

Most of my friends from high school have been working. We all have different jobs, some go to school, some do not. Whatever your lifestyle may be, when you grow up things are not the same as high school anymore. If you have bills to pay and a job, you can't see your friends all of the time.

My very best friends have all been away at school, I have not seen most of them more than once or twice in the past 3 or 4 months. We are all very cool with that, because we are all understanding and we are all doing our thing. It's respectful to understand that we cannot see each other all week, and a missed text or phone call is not worth getting worked up about.

Unfortunately some friends do not understand this, and become angry or "sassy," per se, when I do not answer a text or phone call. It is not mature to be upset by that, and not something even worth bringing up in a conversation. Consistently complaining about not seeing me, whether its meant well or out of aggravation, is not necessary at this age. I do not have to answer any call or text, and I would never intentionally ignore someone unless they were truly a bad person. It's just not worth being upset about someone not answering, and the first thing that crosses your mind is that they may be working, just doing something else, or maybe they just want some alone time.

Guess what? Alone time is OK. As much as you need.

When you are twenty-some years old you should not be nagging your friends about hanging out. It's OK to miss someone, but when it becomes an obsession there is an issue there. If a friend does not see you three times a week, you should not be calling them five times a day. You should not be whining about how they never call you, or how they never answer your texts. You should also definitely, DEFINITELY not be stalking them on social media or in person to see what they are doing. No one is obligated to do anything, and a spare day off or spare hour is not dedicated to doing anything besides what that person would like to do with that time. If you truly want to see a friend, and they have an hour or two to grab some food or drinks, take that time to spend with them. Don't be spiteful and turn it down because they didn't want to hangout for hours and hours. That is silly and awfully selfish, because time spent is time spent- whether it's a long time, or just a minute.

That being said, it is a little different in a romantic partnership. You are not obligated to do anything, but you should desire to spend time with that person when possible. You should try to call them and ask how their day is going, or even just grab a bite to eat. Whether it's the whole night or just 30 minutes, time means the world. It's important. Enjoying time with that person a couple times a week is understandable. Again, we all have jobs and we all do out own thing. If you can't see your significant other during the week, don't get all riled up. A call or text is a nice idea to let them know you are thinking of them.

These are all some things I have been learning how to handle within the past year. It can be very frustrating dealing with needy friends, a busy, tiring job and life. Try not so loose your cool and hang in there!

It is getting late, but I am so happy I took the time to sit down and write tonight. I needed to get back in the groove and get some things off my mind. Any advice I can give comes right from experience. It's better to be honest with these kind of friends. Don't freak out, but do remember we all have different mindsets.

Night Night, friends!

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment