Monday, October 27, 2014

Introducing Health Food to Children

"Ew, Mom, why does this peanut butter look like poop? Why is it lumpy & weirdly shaped??"
"Honey, it's just natural peanut butter with no sugar and nothing you like inside of it."
*5 Year old Angie cries*
 Never to eat "real" peanut butter again!! The terror!

I am no parent, no care taker of any chilluns' at this time. Besides the two that I nannied all summer, an 8 year old and a 13 year old. But- We all know how picky they can be!!

As children in a synthetic world, we are taught that synthetic brands are the "real" deal.

Growing up in  home with a diabetic Dad & nutritionist, ex body building and modeling Mother, I was taught otherwise.
I learned how to be "reverse picky."
Definition, yes? Reverse picky is learning to be picky about which foods you eat, but the favorite being healthy choices & not junk food.

The quote about the PB up there is a real thing that happened. When I was little, my mom introduced organic peanut butter to me, & I literally cried. I was so angry. What was this odd, unsweetened, lumpy substance?
Then she told me I could never have the "fake" peanut butter again.
NO JIF??? WHAAAATTT???

Yup. She meant it.
So, from then on, bit by bit, she introduced all of these odd, super-foods into my life.
The older I got, the more I loved them. It took time, but I grew into it.

In the beginning of high school I became vegetarian. I enjoy this lifestyle. I try to eat Gluten Free, which, I know everyone makes fun of. But- It works! Gluten is a wheat protein that slows down your energy and causes weight gain. Like eating too much pizza or bread. Same thing! I feel as though all folks should be educated on this.

Now, do you need to go full cold turkey gluten free in order to lose weight and be healthy? No! Nor do you need to be vegetarian.  A healthy balance is the key.

The hard part is getting your kids to love it.

Like I said, as a child I was thrown out into the open with health food. I do not advise this as it may cause fits and fusses. I do think that a healthy diet can be eased into any child's life with care.

The secret? Making comfort foods that are healthy and tasty at the same time.

Here is an example of what I mean by that:

Apple baked oatmeal with a bit of cinnamon and sugar on top:
Slice up and peel and apple, throw in some oatmeal, pop it in the oven for 20 minutes and voila! You have a breakfast that tastes like apple pie. Will they know the difference? Maybe, but it is just so darn good they'll want more and more. This dish is full of healthy morning fibers.

I plan on writing a short little cookbook or website of all my favorite comfort recipes, so I can share them with all! I like to cook cheap things that are filling and delicious to all sorts of pickies.

Stay tuned for more! This is a short blog, I know. I've got to peace out for now. If you have any questions feel free to comment! I'd love to answer them all and help in any way I can.

XX,
Angie

20 soon to be 21 year old college student, finding ways to help others eat healthy & happy!







No comments:

Post a Comment