Monday, May 14, 2012

"Homecoming"

514/2012.

I am reading this wonderful book that my Aunt lent me called Homecoming, by Cynthia Voigt.
Written in 1981, this novel is about four children, who are not exactly runaways but who have been abandined by their mother who is crazy, and later found in a hospital, unresponsive. The children are now on their own, much like the Boxcar Children , and need to make money, in order to have supplies to endure their long journey to find "home." what is home, to you? Is it Heaven, or is it the home you live in, with your loved ones? Or do you even consider that place with your loved ones a home, because maybe life there isn't that great? I'm sure you can all relate.
"This is not my home, i think I'm better off alone." ~ Adam Gontier
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Home-lyrics-Three-Days-Grace/863C7ABCDE504B6348256D5A0004D33F

In this case though, the children are in search of a place to settle down, to live, and be loved, and grow up. Just like all children wish for, if they do not already have it. So they set out on  journey, first to find the only relative they know, their great Aunt Cilla, who they discover is dead. After doing some research and hard work on the only relatives they have left,  things don't work out with Aunt Cilla's daughter, cousin Eunice. So they flee to find their Grandmother, Abigail. This is where I left off in the story.

My favorite part is the strengthening feeling I get when I read about all the scarey things the children endure on their own, and how they suffice with so little, escape all the troubles right when they think they should give up, and the biggest thing- stay together. Dicey, James, Maybeth and Sammy, all must stay together as a family- that is their main goal. So far, so good :).
If these children can live on their own- so can I.

I have, last summer, to be exact. I lived on my own for 3 months, and only saw my parents twice. This was right about the time my Aunt lent me the book, because the storty took place part time in Maryland, where I left to work housekeeping. I am just now reading the book, though she meant for me to read it durning my lonely times last summer. It is a great read.
 I am ready for college, my friends.

Angie

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book Angela! I enjoy hearing about stories such as this, but I must admit I always find it hard for me to read them. When you look at a child in a situation on thier own I think it's pretty common to relate to them and imagine your own doubts of being at home and the struggles that you go through every now and then. I like that you used your own life as an example. I remember you telling me all through your stay on your own and how much of an accomplishment it was for you.This sounds like a book where the characters know how to continue on with life, even if their not quite sure what "home" is to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really good book review Angela! This book actually seems really interesting. I'm usually not one to read old books like this, but it seems like one I would enjoy. I really liked how you related this to your own life. It shows the similarities you have with the book. I also agree with you on the last part when you wrote your ready for college and friends because I am too! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kellsie and thanks Noelle! :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie! This book sounds like such an interesting read. Sometimes the stories from the past are the best stories to read! I would like to read this book sometime in the future. I think, in your book review, you made very good points about your view on the story. I also agree with you when you said you can live on your own. Although I wasn't gone for as long as you were, this past summer I went to Italy where I traveled there for nine days. I missed my family alot, but I really loved being on my own. Great Job Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aaw, thanks Karley! i wish i had went to Italy with you guys, i regret not going! :) i dont really have the money though haha :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post -literary, personal, and honest. You're lucky to have an aunt like this. "Gifting" a book is a tricky thing (so is receiving one). Get it right, and it's a gift that pays off on several levels. Get it wrong, and it's like giving (or getting) homework.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you! :) it was definitely a lovely gift for me

    ReplyDelete